Setup for IIS7 on Windows Server 2008 R2 for SQL Server 2014

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:57 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to setup CrissCross for the first time - my server is IIS7 on Windows Server 2008 R2 for SQL Server 2014 (native/Report Manager). I've customized the web.config as per the doco.

But when I try to access the URL (from the server or a desktop), I always get the HTTP 404 error. My Virtual Directory looks OK - via Server Manager I can see the subfolders (Admin, App_data etc).

What am I missing?
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2014 at 7:55 AM
Edited Oct 2, 2014 at 7:59 AM
That's puzzling. Are you sure its a 404 error?

1) it might be a default document problem, try navigating to a specific .aspx page. I.e. whatever/Home.aspx

2) might be general Iis problem. Perhaps try creating a second unrelated virtual directory with a simple "hello world" index.HTML file and see if you can get that to work.
Oct 3, 2014 at 3:55 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I tried #1 - same issue.

I tried #2 - same issue. Via Windows Explorer I can open the index.html file in IE and see my "Hello world". But via a URL I get a 404 error. I've tried"

http://localhost/hello http://localhost/hello/index.html
ditto with server name in place of localhost

Maybe its some missing Feature or Role in the Server Manager? For Roles it only has File Server and Web Server (IIS).
Coordinator
Oct 3, 2014 at 12:59 PM
I think you need the 'Application Server' role not just the Web Server Role.

Or if there isn't an Application Server role I think you need to select Application Development/ASP.NET role services under the main Web Server Role.
Oct 8, 2014 at 1:16 PM
I've managed to move this forward a bit. I installed the Application Server role. The next error indicated that instead of a Virtual Directory I should convert it to an IIS Application, so I did.

Then I got a configuration error - it says it cant find the Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms Version=9.0.0

I guessed (from another thread) that this is out of date for a SQL 2014 box, and changed it to Version=10.

Now it seems to be working - it's connected to the server, got the list of folders & history.

However when I try to run a report it looks like more Version=9 references are embedded e.g. in Report.aspx?