This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Per-user default parameters

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Again, excellent product!

A great feature in PerformancePoint that is sorely missed in Reporting Services is the ability to "save as my defaults" when selecting filter values. We mimic the functionality in our SSRS reports using the following hack:
  1. Create a report that accepts parameter values from any other report and inserts them into a userDefaults table.
  2. Create a "save as my defaults" link on all reports that links to the report in #1.
  3. Populate the default values of report parameters from the userDefaults table if user defaults exist, otherwise use report defaults.
There are a few problems with this approach.
  1. Users aren't used to looking in the body of the report for parameter-specific functionality. Having a "save as my defaults" checkbox grouped with the filters makes more sense from a design perspective.
  2. Having the link in the body of the report muddies up the layout of the report itself.
  3. The SQL and parameter logic needed to populate the userDefaults into the report filters adds a lot of complexity to the RDLs.
  4. Maintaining the report responsible for saving the values adds additional complexity to the project and leverages SSRS for something it isn't intended for: INSERTS and UPDATES.
Scoping features into CrissCross that don't exist in SSRS might be outside the vision of the tool. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I was thinking of adding 'saved reports' which would have been similar. Haven't got around to it yet.

Note that if you turn on crisscross.UseReportHistory in web.config and set the ReportServerDb connection string ( see https://crisscross.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=web.config settings) then CrissCross will let you re-load parameter choices from recently run reports. Which is sort of similar to being able to save parameter selections or parameter defaults. So maybe give that a try?