This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Dependent Parameter Refresh on first load

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:00 PM
I'm using the dependent parameter refresh as provided without using the file and having CrissCross figure it out from the RDL. It's working great on SQL Server 2012. No issues. The only thing I'm having a problem is when the page first loads the controls and, in my case, the first control is a single dropdown listbox and the dependent one is a multi, it doesn't get the list of items for the second, since the first item already has a value on initial load. Thoughts?
Coordinator
Dec 20, 2014 at 9:40 PM
Hi fafurd,

I dont have a working system to test with right now so I'm trying to remember how its supposed to work! I take it the dependency works OK if the user then makes a change to the first parameter?

With dependant parameters, its SSRS that tells CrissCross what should go in the picklist as 'available items'. So when CrissCross first displays the parameters, as SSRS knows the default for the first param, it should give CrissCross the correct list for the second param. Not sure why that is not happening here.

Does your dependant multipick show no available items, or does it show all items without filter?
Dec 21, 2014 at 7:07 PM
Yes, it works fine if the user changes it.

Okay, I see what you are saying. Thinking about it, I do notice that if you use the native render-er and with single single select list boxes, their first option is to ask the user to select an item vs. making the first item the default. As a workaround, I set the parameter default to the first item in the list and it performs now as expected.
Aug 18, 2016 at 10:53 PM
Hi fafurd, how do you implement the workaround? The dropdown list picked the first item automatically and the dependent params didn't get populated. What I would like to do is set the dropdown list to blank so users can pick. Is it possible and how? Thanks!